Monday, April 13, 2009

Movie Review - Tropic Thunder

Tropic Thunder (4 of 5): I checked out Tropic Thunder over the weekend. It was a very funny movie. As a matter of fact, I enjoyed it quite a bit more than I was anticipating. With the exception of Zoolander, I don't usually find Ben Stiller movies that great. After seeing Tropic of Thunder though, I think it goes head to head with Zoolander as my favorite Ben Stiller flick.

This movie offers more than just Ben Stiller though. There is a great cast, including Jack Black, Robert Downey Jr., Nick Nolte (looking seriously alcoholic) and Tom Cruise. They all play really messed up characters and everybody is unique. Tom Cruise is especially icky and disturbing - and trust me, I would't use the word "icky" unless it was warranted.

Although I had a lot of fun with this film, I can see how some people may not like it. There is a decent amount of poking fun at retarded people, which I found hilarious, but many may not. Also, a lot of the humor has an inside joke appeal, either referencing other war movies or making fun of the Hollywood system. These jokes may go over the heads of some.

Overall though, this is a really fun film with lots of laughs. I would definitely watch it again and that is something to say since so few comedies these days are worth second viewings, in my opinion. Even the movie trailers at the beginning are worth the price of a rental. Check it out.

1 comment:

free movies said...

I just got out of a midnight showing and I was absolutely blown away. I fully expect this to be a mediocre movie at best, but it surprised me in all aspects. It was well directed, acted, the action scenes were actually very well done and pretty epic, and most of all it was hilarious.