Friday, April 10, 2009

Movie Review - The Haunting In Conneticut


The Haunting In Conneticut (4 of 5): Any fan of this genre knows that the state of horror movies has been reduced to cheap gorefests, perpetuated by movies like Hostel, Saw, and endless gory remakes of classic 70's and 80's horror. However, Connecticut does not bombard you with excessive violence and blood.

Instead, it tells the story of a teenage boy suffering from cancer who agrees to undergo some experimental treatment. In an effort to ease the burden, his family abruptly and hastily moves the entire family to a rental home in Connecticut. The home seems to provide the ideal setting for the grief-stricken family, however, from the onset, most of the family is unaware of the home's disturbing past. The movie explains itself thoroughly, so there is no point in re-capping it here. Suffice to say that the house has a chilling and haunted past "filled" with death, self-mutilation, spirits and lost souls.
Where this movie succeeds is in it's ability to scare with imagery. There are a handful of scenes that really made me jump, simply due to a look from an on-screen character, or some environmental effect. The make-up and CGI in some areas were very effective in presenting a truly frightening scene.

That being said, the movie is not without it's generic horror pitfalls. My biggest pet-peeve in horror is the cheap scare that is delivered as the music builds up, and something pops out of nowhere and makes the character and viewer literally jump. Connecticut certainly has it's share of these cheap scares. Additionally there are a lot of borrowed concepts from other successful horror successes such as Poltergeist, The Ring, and The Others.

It's important to remember that in horror, more than in any other genres, there are so few universal truths as to what is scary. It is a very personal and wide ranging emotion. This one did it for me and I was very pleased to leave the theater pretty freaked out at the film I had just seen.

*Note* If you do see it at the theatre, be sure to stay well into the credits. There is a very spooky, albeit contrived surprise at the end.

12 comments:

Movie Guy #1 said...

How does this movie compare to the Exorcism of Emily Rose? For some reason the previews I have seen for Connecticut remind me of that movie.

Movie Guy #2 said...

It was not as good as Exorcism of Emily Rose, nor was it as scary. It had some cool scenes in it that you would like; stuff that we have always talked about that would scare us if it happened.

I would say it was as scared as I have been at the theatre since Emily Rose; but nothing too dramatic

wifeofmovieguy1 said...

I'm sorry Jim, but this movie looks totally dumb. My parents saw it and said it was stupid-not scary at all and they usually like the kind of movies you like :) I have a question for you-why don't they just leave the house if it is haunted with the dead from the mortuary? I mean come on-they are only renting it for pete's sake. Then they burn the house down and somehow it comes back again-spooky. Sorry-I haven't seen it, so I can't totally go against your review, but from what I know about it-I don't want to see it. If I do see it and like it, I will eat my words and apologize :)

wifeofmovieguy1 said...

Sorry for the harsh comment Jim-preggo=bitchy

friendofwifeofmovieguy1 said...

Sorry, wifeofmovieguy1, I think you have to see the movie now. Jim, ahem, Movie Guy #2, should have the opportunity to hear you eat your words and apologize. :) BTW, LKM

Movie Guy #1 said...

Hmmm, things are getting interesting. Maybe we can liveblog Wife #1s movie viewing? Then, if apologies are necessary, we can film or take pictures of that! Great stuff!

Movie Guy #2 said...

I feel like at this point, when (if the movie is viewed, it will be hard for you to be objective as to it's merit. Afterall, there is an apology on the line here, and no one likes to give those.

Plus, you are missing the whole big screen movie theatre atmosphere. It's different than a Netflix night at the movies in the comfort of your own home. Is anyone else with me on this one?

Also, Friendofwife of movie guy1, who are you, and who is this "Jim" person you spoke of. He sounds cool. And what the hell are those acronyms supposed to mean at the end of your message?

wifeofmovieguy#1 said...

Retard-that's my friend Lisa-those are her initials. well, sorry Jim, but I only have very few opportunities to see movies in the theater anymore since we have a kid and I'm not going to waste one of my few chances or my money on going to see this one in the theater. So it'll have to be netflix if at all. so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree :)

wifeofmovieguy#1 said...

BTW=by the way, LKM=Lisa Kaye Mathews

friendofwifeofmovieguy1 said...

I knew you would figure it out.

Movie Guy #2 said...

Make sure to revisit the post if and when you see it. As for now, we have nothing to agree or disagree upon since you haven't seen it.

Free Movies said...

Actually, I agreed with Movie Guy, How does this movie compare to the Exorcism of Emily Rose? This is quite different one.