Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Legos, Ghostbusters and Monoliths

Recently, I got out all my old childhood Lego sets. I only had vague memories of the sets, so it has been fun to rebuild them. It's also been fun (yet challenging) to build them with my three year old daughter who is always eager to help.

Anyway, you are probably wondering what this has to do with movies so here comes the tie-in. I just came across this picture of a cool Lego creation from a fan of the movie Ghostbusters, one of my all-time favorite comedies. I think you will agree with me that this is pretty well done!


Speaking of Ghostbusters, did you hear that a Ghostbusters 3 is in the works? I'll be happy to see those guys working together again, but unhappy with the "reboot for a younger generation" angle I'm sure the film will follow. Right now, somebody in Hollywood is thinking they gotta have Zac Efron as the new Peter Venkmen.

I am always impressed by the skill and creativity shown by Lego artists. One day, with practice, I hope to have similar skill to create my own Ecto 1. But, for now, I'll just stick to making Monoliths from 2001.


Thanks Brothers Brick

3 comments:

Movie Guy #2 said...

Awesome that you are moving out of the parents basement; taking all your toys. Did you get the fighter jet with the "awesome" missles?

Cool 2001 reference...I was watching it all the way through the other day, for what had to be the third or forth time. Towards the end of the movie when the astronaut has crawled into the inner workings of the computer, in an attempt to disconnect HAL; he is removing these microchips from the mainframe with a screwdriver. As he does so, HAL's voice tries to persuade him to stop, saying that he (HAL) is dying. As one chip is removed, HAL begins to go through some voice protocol where he states that he was "Created at the University of Illinois in Urbana IL"

Movie Guy #1 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Movie Guy #1 said...

Yeah, I found that model with the missles. It was covered in about an inch of dust, but still had all the missles on it! I threw it away.

Yup, that is a pretty cool shout out to UofI. Also of note, and kind of cool, is that each of the letters of HAL are just one below IBM (H=I, A=B, L=M), the biggest computer company in the industry at the time Clark wrote the book.