Sunday, July 09, 2006

Movie Review - Night Watch

Night Watch (4 of 5): Russia may not have been able to make communism work; but they are doing a pretty good job with sci-fi/horror. Night Watch, the first part in a trilogy, had a very limited US theatrical release, and was just released on DVD last week. This movie tells the story of an ancient truce, forged between forces of light and the darkness. A world now exists where vampires, shape-shifters, and witches roam the earth, policing each other to ensure that one side does not influence mortals; mortals have to come to the choice on their own as to which side they choose. A series of events shatters the balance, triggering a new war between good and evil. It's really hard to describe this movie; think Blade and The Matrix with a side of Lord of The Rings. Although considered a horror movie, it was more sci-fi fantasy than horror, but there were definetely some creepy scenes. Overall, the movie was highly entertaining, and visually beautiful. The storyline was both detailed and very unique. I am certainly looking forward to watching the forthcoming sequels. Because this movie is probably pretty unknown to most people, I would encourage people to go to one of the convienent movie sites listed on the right and check out a trailer for Night Watch.

2 comments:

Paperback Writer said...

I LOVE THIS MOVIE. I can't wait for the next two movies! I tried to find the novel but to no avail...unles I can read Russian, which I cannot.

Movie Guy #1 said...

I watched this movie over the weekend and thought it was pretty cool. I am really looking forward to the second and third movies now. Anybody else think the "cursed lady" storyline and "vortex" was a bit anticlimactic?